Thursday 29 November 2012

Collar DIY.



Embellished Collar.. DIY


Collars and embellished collars have been making their rounds on the internet and blogs for the past couple of years now. I think we can point our fingers at Mui Mui and there pretty pink & swallow collars for starting the trend. But because I thought I saw so many refashioned collars and collar necklaces floating around, I purposely did not do a DIY for one. You know I don't like to be a copycat. Apparently however, a look 4 Less reader was on the hunt for a DIY embellished collar and couldn't find any that suited her. So I offered a hand and thought I'd give it my own spin using faux pearls, vintage rhinestone earrings & buttons, as well as vintage aurora borealis beads from an old broken necklace. Rather than cluttering up the entire collar though, I created a pretty visual pattern that begins on one side and ends on the other.

*NOTE* Once embellished, your shirt will have to be dry-cleaned or carefully hand-washed and hung dry. It's the price you pay for fashion you can also choose to remove your collar entirely from the rest of the blouse and wear it as a necklace of sorts, pairing it with any outfit you like.

Heres What You'll Need...



* A blouse with a nice collar. Mine is blush/pink that I found at a thrift shop, with a nice sturdy collar that will keep its shape even with the weight of the embellishments.

* Faux pearls in 2-3 sizes. I also used a craft strand to save a little time. Rhinestone buttons, beads, earrings... whatever you like really, that you can hand-stitch on.

* Needle/Thread/Scissors
Steps..


* First, visually lay out your largest pearls or precious findings. Other than the vintage rhinestone earrings dangling from the ends, I chose not to match the two sides. Carefully hand stitch each into place {but not onto your shirt below}



* Using medium sized pearls or beads, begin filling in the spaces in between. Then with the smallest beads or pearls, filling in the even smaller spaces.


* Adding large, medium, and small beads, pearls, and rhinestones gives it depth and texture.


* Continue overlapping and filling in the blanks until you have a finished look you are pleased with.


Perfect!


2 comments:

  1. Very Cool ! Gonna make it *-*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you credit the original blogger, Meagan Tintari, here?

    ReplyDelete